Gravel Race Date: Saturday, August 27, 2022
Location: Brighton Recreation Area (requires Recreation Passport, Prices HERE) – Chilson Unit – Lakeview Shelter – nearest address: 6360 Chilson Rd, Howell, MI 48843
Distances: 35 Mile / 100 Mile
Early Packet Pickup: Friday, August 26, 4:00pm – 7:00pm at Lakeview Shelter (Race HQ)
Start: Escorted Start both races to King Rd (1/2 mile). Waves/Time Releases TBD based on projected pace during registration. Faster riders to be placed in front.
Post Race Food: Hallboy BBQ Food Truck – Pulled Chicken or Pulled Pork Sandwich, 2 Sides, & a Water.
Swag: Buff (Not Guaranteed if registering after July 27th)
100 Mile Race Schedule:
Race Morning Packet Pickup: 8:00am – 9:30am
Race Start: 10:00am
Mandatory Check Point: 100 Mile Only – Dancing Willows Farms – 230 N. Dancer Rd, Dexter, MI 48130. Open from 12:00pm to 4:00pm (cutoff to leave). Departures past 4pm will be DNF. There will not be a timing mat at the CP, however we will record splits.
Race Cutoff: 11 Hours (~9mph, based on wave start)
35 Mile Race Schedule:
Race Morning Packet Pickup: 9:00am – 10:30am
Race Start: 11:00am
Divisions for both races (Age on race day):
- Men/Women 16-29
- Men/Women 30-39
- Men/Women 40-49
- Men/Women 50-59
- Men/Women 60+
- Men/Women Single Speed Open
- Men/Women FatBike Open
Awards for both races: Top 3 overall men and women. 1st Place prizes for every division, additional place prizes may be added based on registrations up to 3rd place.
Event Cost 100 Mile:
3/3/22 – 5/31/22 = $99.00 per person (+ small online registration fee)
6/1/22 – 6/30/22 = $104.00 per person (+ small online registration fee)
7/1/22 – 8/7/22 = $114.00 per person (+ small online registration fee)
Event Cost 35 Mile:
3/3/22 – 5/31/22 = $45.00 per person (+ small online registration fee)
6/1/22 – 6/30/22 = $50.00 per person (+ small online registration fee)
7/1/22 – 8/7/22 = $60.00 per person (+ small online registration fee)
Registration will open on 3/3/2022 and remain open until 8/7/2022, or until we reach capacity.
Entry Fees are non-refundable. Entry fee includes chip timing, swag, and post race food.
Course Description: Both courses will start from the Chilson Impoundment area of Brighton Rec via an escorted ride out to King Rd that allows access to gravel roads to the west. This is due to special permission from the park, in part to bring awareness this is normally a hiking only trail. Once out to the gravel, racers will be free to kick into high gear and will get To Hell via some amazing back country gravel roads. Hell will come in the first part of the race for both courses. The 35 mile course will follow a shorter loop that stays more in the Pinckney/Brighton area. While the 100 mile course will wind further west towards the Gregory area, down thru Unadilla and Waterloo Rec areas, using almost exclusively gravel roads, until the Mandatory Check Point is reached at about mile 60 (recording of arrival time for splits at CP). After the Mandatory Check Point riders will make their way back north and east of Dexter to get across the Huron River, before heading back up towards the Hamburg area. Both courses will feel the (To Hell) And Back part of the race near the end via a mega up and down along Teahen Rd before cruising back into the finish past Bishop Lake. Both courses have a mix of gravel and pavement, with as minimal high traffic areas as possible, each should be challenging but yet fast courses. The 35 mile course is 71% gravel with 825 ft of elevation, while the 100 mile course is 86% gravel with 1700 ft of elevation.
Gravel Race Route Details:
Gravel Race Rules:
- Number plates are to be mounted on your bike to the handlebars only.
- Bike changes / Frame changes / Wheel swaps / Tow Straps / Aero bars / Tri bars not allowed.
- The bike you start with is the bike you finish with (except for repair, any replacements parts must match).
- Drafting is ok.
- If you leave the course, you must re-enter it at the same location or DNF.
- The courses are unmarked and open to the public and vehicles.
- You must follow all rules and laws of the road.
- Ride to the right and no more than 2 across.
- No music or headphones allowed.
- Sportsmanship is Required.
- Extreme Weather may delay, suspend, or cancel the race at RD discretion.
- RD reserves the right to penalize or DQ for failure to follow rules or poor sportsmanship.
- All riders MUST check out with the RD either via the Finish Line (chip recording), or if you DNF via Text or Phone Call.
- Rescue: All Riders both 35 mile and 100 mile must have a self rescue plan. This means you should have pre-arranged with someone reliable to be available by phone/text to pick you up in less than 45 minutes if you can not continue for any reason at any point of the course, such as weather, mechanical, or exhaustion to be able to safely make it off the course, and preferably back to the Finish.
Gravel Race Required Gear:
- Gravel Bike / Mountain Bike / Fat Bike (no road bikes)
- Cell phone
- Cue Sheets and Bike Computer (GPS device with route loaded highly recommended, courses are NOT marked)
- Rear Flashing Light
- 1 Piece of high visibility clothing
- Spare Tube/Sealant/CO2 & multi bike tool
- At least 40 oz of Hydration for 100 Mile, 20 oz for 35 Mile
- If your projected completion time is 9+ hrs, you are required to carry a headlight/front light. Sunset will be 8:15pm.
Gravel Race Support & Aid:
This is a self supported race, except at the Mandatory Check Point (100 mile only). This means you may not receive material support from other riders or support crews outside of the Check Point unless safety dictates it. You may self support for food / hydration / repair / restrooms via any gas station, restaurant, or convenience store. Small mechanical issues such as chain/tire/brake issues are expected to be fixed by the rider, if the rider is unable to continue or make it to the Check Point, it is considered a DNF.
100 Mile Racers may opt to have a Support Crew at the Mandatory Check Point. Support can be mechanical assistance, clothes, food, hydration, & moral support. Support Crews are not allowed to follow riders on the course and only allowed to interact with riders at the Check Point. Support Crews are limited to 4 riders max without additional RD approval.
100 Mile Only – Drop Bags – If you do not have a support crew, we will allow 1 drop bag, per rider, that will be transported to and from the Mandatory Checkpoint and Start/Finish. Drop bags must not be larger than 18 inches in height, similar to a traditional backpack/tote bag, must completely close with a zipper or drawstring style closure, and must be non-rigid (no coolers or buckets). Bags must also be labeled with your name and bib number to drop off at the Start/Finish prior to race start.
We have worked with Pactimo to create a special To Hell And Back Gravel Race jersey, as well as a Lost Arrow Sports jersey. We are managing this as a Team Store, directly through Pactimo.
The team store closed on July 6, 2022. Please contact us if you are interested in purchasing a jersey and we can work with Pactimo on whether another store can be opened.
All sales are final once they are placed. Our team Account Manager (Alison Sisson) has the ability to go in and adjust SIZES while the team store is OPEN, but she cannot adjust QUANTITIES. If team members decide they want additional items, they must submit a second order.
SIZING AND FITTING Info – We strongly encourage you use the links below to determine the proper size required.
Once the store is closed, no additional orders can be accepted. At that point all orders will go into Production and the 6 week delivery time frame begins. Items purchased within the team store are not put into production until the entire store closes, not calculated 6 weeks according to the order date.
Our store has individual shipping. Please verify your shipping address. All shipments are delivered via Fed Ex, and cannot go to a PO Box and may require a signature at time of delivery.
Holiday Inn Express Brighton South – 6910 Whitmore Lake Rd, Brighton, MI 48116
Courtyard by Marriot Detroit Brighton – 7799 Conference Center Dr, Brighton, MI 48114
Brighton Rec Area Campgrounds – Bishop Lake / Appleton Lake / Murrary Lake both Modern and Rustic sites available